Anyone who works with computers in this day and age knows the importance of website security. Now, more than ever, it is imperative that you keep your website up to date with the latest security protocols to protect not only your website from attack, but to also ensure your business’ workflow isn’t unnecessarily interrupted with the need to react to security breaches on your website.
WordPress is one of the many Content Management Systems (CMS) that Connect Think uses to develop and manage websites for clients. Recently, Nir Goldshlager, a security researcher from Salesforce.com’s product security team, discovered an XML vulnerability in the WordPress platform that leaves the door wide open for hackers to infiltrate standard WordPress installations.
How many websites use WordPress?
According to Wikipedia, WordPress is the most popular blogging system in use with more than 60 million websites currently running on the framework. The pervasiveness of WordPress accentuates the importance of securing WordPress installations.
So what can be done about this?
The first thing that should be done is to make sure that your WordPress framework installation and plugins are up-to-date. The current WordPress 3.9.2 framework, which was developed and released in response to the discovery, includes a security update that resolves the aforementioned vulnerability. You should backup your site and run this update as soon as possible. If your site does not run on the latest version of WordPress, then it is imperative that you update your site to the latest release as soon as possible.
How do I update the WordPress framework?
Updating the WordPress framework may be easy for those that are familiar with the process. But for sites running older installations (3.8.3 or older), it will take a bit more work to update the framework. This is where Connect Think steps in to save the day.
Our team of web professionals has been working with WordPress for years, and are incredibly familiar with the ins and outs of the framework, whether that be with a prebuilt or fully customized theme. We know how to climb the mountain of security implementation and can set your WordPress site to stay up-to-date with the latest releases and plugin updates.
Enter Connect Think’s WordPress Support Packages
At Connect Think, we have all of your WordPress development and security needs covered. We offer WordPress Support Packages with multiple levels of service depending on your website’s needs and budget. Our monitoring services include:
- Keep the WordPress framework, Plugins and Theme Framework files updated
- Monitor website performance and set up alerts so we know within minutes if your website goes down, if there are spikes in traffic or if the site is attacked by spam-bots
- Regularly scheduled backups with easy website restoration upon request or after security threats
- Content and framework security through a multi-faceted approach:
- Minimize potential vulnerabilities by developing themes on a custom, tried-and-true theme framework that we continue to develop as new technologies emerge.
- Ensure security through obscurity by limiting access to important website information
- Harden WordPress with security plugins that can be custom configured to prevent hackers from accessing and altering a site’s files and file system.